This position supports JOIN’s financial operations in several key ways: preparing contract billings and posting the accounts receivable, posting and paying accounts payable, preparing payroll, and monitoring expense allocation in the general ledger.
Additionally, the position works closely with the Deputy Director to ensure the completeness of the financial records, prepare for the annual independent audit, and resolve questions and problems relating to general ledger accounting entries and financial reports. The agency has an annual independent audit and is anticipating obtaining a Single Audit (formerly A-133) in the near future.
Specific Financial Process Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare billing invoices, post accounts receivable, and track contract spend down and balances
- Process accounts payable including tracking subcontracted partner invoices, contract spend down and payment reimbursement due
- Monitor AR and AP aging reports, investigate anomalies, and seek resolution
- Process semi-monthly and monthly payrolls including properly representing deductions, rate changes, additions and deletions for approval by the Deputy Director
- Manage Credit Card Payments for all account holders and enter all expenses into QBOE
- Enter deposits to Quickbooks Online as presented by the Development Team
- Monitor Quickbooks entries for proper Account, Donor, and Class assignment
- Support the work of the independent auditors through preparation of requested materials and schedules and researching and resolving questions raised during the audit
- Manage archives and files with support from data/admin team
- Cross train in other aspects of JOIN’s financial operations to support organizational team needs
- Respect the confidential nature of many financial transactions
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in JOIN’s equity and anti-racist work at the full staff, program, and individual level
- Apply an equity lens to work with staff and community members
- Other duties as required and assigned
- 2 years or more accounts receivable/accounts payable experience
- At least 1 course year in college level accounting
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff members performing fiscal functions who do not have formal accounting training
- Experience with QuickBooks, especially QuickBooks online
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- Successful experience with accounting for nonprofit organizations, including accounting for restricted funds and compliance with governmental funding agreements
- Experience working with confidential material
- Demonstrated interest in and comfort with working with individuals experiencing homelessness
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a rapidly changing work environment
- Agree that a commitment to equity and inclusion is fundamental to JOIN’s work. Support and contribute to JOIN’s goal of becoming an anti-racist organization
Salary: $36,700-$41,500 D.O.E., full-time exempt
Benefits: Compensation includes 10 paid holidays, 168 hours of paid time off (with annual increases to 208 hours at 5 years), 2 weeks paid parent leave, 8 week paid sabbatical after 7 years, health & dental benefits premiums 100% paid for employees and dependents, employer paid $50,000 life insurance as well as short and long term disability, flexible medical savings and dependent reimbursement accounts, Employee Assistance Program, and unmatched 403b plan participation available.
How to Apply:
To be complete, please submit a resume and cover letter as two separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org (with “AR/AP” in the subject line) by April 15, 2019. In order to be considered, your cover letter must respond to the following:
- Explain your ability to focus on the specifics of your accounting responsibilities while understanding our mission is about people.
- Describe how JOIN’s equity work and our commitment to becoming an anti-racist organization might show up in your work.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOIN values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual. On behalf of the board, staff, and people we serve at JOIN, thank you for your interest in supporting our mission.