Why Storytelling Matters in Recruitment?
Storytelling is now a skill that is in high demand in the workplaces across different industries worldwide. Today’s global brand leaders bet their marketing strategies on storytelling. Though the storytelling trend is being pushed largely by marketing, I think this skill is just as relevant to recruiting and talent acquisition professionals. Storytelling can achieve the very goals we struggle with like: Capturing candidates’ attention. Helping candidates understand and remember a lot of information in a short amount of time. Creating emotional investment and the beginning of engagement in candidates. In order to have a great impact in the recruiting process we need to tell stories visually. The power of storytelling cuts through our attention span because our brain is designed to filter most of what we throw at it. Storytelling skills also give recruiters an advantage they can use to capture the attention of candidates and sell the opportunity they are offering to them. The great storytellers have an unfair competitive advantage over others because they are going to recruit much better than others. Here are some tips on how you can recruit through storytelling:
- Construct a Structure: a story needs a thread, a skeleton or structure. You want to make sure that you don’t just throw random facts that can get lost in the candidates mind.
- The rule of 3: try to remember and communicate no more than three ideas, words or images. It will make it that much easier to remember and practice those ideas.
- Be emotional: story works because it translates information into emotion. Don’t rely to much on facts, or information because employees want that connection of emotion in interview situations.
- Create personality. Stories are based on characters, who have a personality. To be memorable. Your personality should be sincere, honest and based on who you are.
- Grab them early: Stories work best when you have something that catches there ear and are memorable. Try to say it right at the start which will get it to be more captivating and draw their attention in the beginning.
- End big. People will remember the last impression you made. Recruitment is all about people, it is all about knowledge and about our networks. Future employees are all about remembering the information in which they get locked into as a person or a company’s story.
Use storytelling techniques to connect with people and make them want to join your company, and recruiting will become natural. Storytelling is the basis for almost everything in our society. Even the small details of storytelling during the recruiting process will help grab the attention of any candidate. Not only will you get their attention, but you will also establish a connection with your candidate, and this could be the reason why he/she is going to accept your offer and not your competitor’s offer. Stories carry the ideas that change the world, and if the candidate believes in that story than they will definitely end up at your company.